- 200g bags of cooked whelk meat
- These are meat from large whelks
- British landed and prepared whelks
The whelk is famously reckoned to be an aphrodisiac, but it’s possible this is a canny marketing strategy dreamt up by whelk fishermen. Either way, you get a serious piece of meat offering a rewarding chew (and no shell - you just get the meat). These whelks have been cooked, but you can reheat them if you wish. Apparently a lot of people type ’whelk clam’ into Google. If that led you here, take note, the whelk is not a clam. Clams have two symmetrical shells which fit tightly together. However, the whelk has just one shell, which is like a snail’s. This pack is 100% edible cooked whelk meat from British Whelks. The whelk meat is frozen together so you will have to defrost all of the meat at the same time.
Customer reviews of our whelks:
- "The best I have tasted in a long time"
- "They were lovely could have done with a larger Pack next time I will order 2"
- "Bought these whelks for my husband who loves them but hasn't had any since a holiday in Cornwall years ago Was so pleased with them and how quickly they came wonderful service shall buy again from this company Thank You"
- "I can get whelks from the east coast of England but am inland at present where quality, small, sweet whelks are hard to come by. The ones from The Fish Society are beautiful."
UK- dpd - Courier
|Saturday & Sunday||+£3.40|
*We use Royal Mail Special Delivery, which costs £26.60.
UK Royal Mail - Only tins & Jars
|2nd class|| |
2-4 day delivery
|1st class|| |
1-2 day delivery
We are not currently shipping internationally.
|Frozen||Stored frozen at -22C|
|Chilled||Stored at 2-5C|
|Ambient||Stored at room temperature|
|The area where the fish was caught or farmed|
|Wild or Farmed|
|Wild||Fish that are caught from their natural habitat|
|Organic||Organically farmed and certified by the soil association|
|Farmed||Fish that have been bred on a commercial fish farm|
|Raw||This product has not been cooked in any way|
|Cooked||This product has been cooked, and is ready to eat|
|Cured||This product has been smoked or otherwise preserved|
|Reheat||This product has been prepared and only needs to be heated up to eat.|
|Hand pole & line||Caught using the traditional fishing rod and line|
|Longline||Caught using a long line that has baited hooks and floats attached along its length|
|Dived||Hand caught using divers|
|Foraged||Caught by foraging along the beach|
|Pots & Traps||Caught using stationary pots or traps that are placed along the ocean floor.|
|Dredges||Caught using a net with a heavy steel frame that is dragged along the ocean floor.|
|Gill netting||Caught using a curtain of netting that hangs in the water using floats. Usually does not touch the ocean floor.|
|Seine net||Caught using a ring of netting in the open ocean with floats at the top and pinched at the bottom.|
|Trawled||Caught using a large fishing net dragged behind a fishing boat|
|Netted||Caught using any of the types of netting|
How to cook whelks
A table cuisine quotidienne
Korean Spicy Whelk Side