Baked Hake with Leeks
- 4 hake steaks
- 450g / 1 lb leeks
- 50 g / 2 oz butter
- 1 small carton of single cream
- Salt, pepper and nutmeg
- 4 rashers of bacon, unsalted
- 2 lemons, 1 thinly sliced and the juice of the other
- Heat oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4 . Wash the leeks well and slice them.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan and cook leeks until soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream; add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Butter an oven-proof dish and put half the leeks into the bottom, lay the fish on top, cover with the bacon rashers then the lemon slices. Finish with a layer of the remaining leeks. Cover with foil and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour on the lemon juice and serve.