Baked turbot with a fine tomato sauce
- 2 turbot steaks about 200 grams each
- 200 ml/6 fl oz fish stock
- 50g/2oz butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 5 ml/1 tsp dried mixed herbs (or use fresh)
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- a good squeeze of tomato puree
- salt and pepper
- Set the oven at 180C/350F/gas 4. Put the fish in an ovenproof dish, add half the stock, cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt half the butter in a frying pan. Add the onion and carrot fry gently for 5 minutes until soft. Sprinkle over the herbs, add the remaining stock and cover the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes. Strain and discard vegetables.
- Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook briefly until you have a consistent paste. Add the puree and work this in too. Now add the stock you have just made, little by little, stirring constantly, until you have a nicely blended sauce with an agreeable consistency. Season to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- When the fish is cooked pour over the sauce. You could garnish with a little fresh parsley.