Bilbao fish stew
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 inches fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 red peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 glass white wine
- 300ml fish stock
- 1g saffron dropped into the white wine
- 150g / 6 ozs ground almonds
- 500g / a little over 1lb monkfish or just about any other white fish. It must be skinned. Cut into pieces.
- 700g / 1.5 lbs some kind of smaller whole clam - carpetshells / surf / meretrix would be perfect
- salt and pepper
- Follow on-pack insructions for clams. Twist each one open with a knife.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and a little salt. Cook slowly for about 15 minutes
- Add the garlic, rosemary, bay and red pepper. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add paprika and tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes
- Add wine and fish stock and almonds. Season to taste.
- Add monkfish and stir in. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. The add clams and cook for a final five minutes.
- Serve with bread and salad.