Chilled melon soup with crab garnish
This recipe is based on the one in Gordon Ramsay's Best Menus
- 200g crab claw meat
- half a shallot
- half an apple
- six coriander leaves
- juice of half a lime
- 2 ripe melons - canteloupes would be perfect
- a small tub of unflavoured yoghurt
You can prepare everything in advance except the apple, which would brown if kept waiting. So have everything ready then peel and dice the apple for step 4 immediately before serving.
- Chill the melon for at least six hours.
- Cut the melons into normal slices, remove seeds and peel 'generously' - do not retain the flesh which is close to the skin - only those parts which are as sweet as the very centre, next to the seeds. Now chop the slices.
- Blend the melon with the yoghurt and a little salt. Keep cold.
- Check over the crabmeat to remove any shell. Peel the apple and shallot then chop them and the coriander very finely. Add to the crabmeat. Add the lime juice.
- Spoon the melon mixture into bowls and scatter the crab mixture on top.