Clams with pasta
- about 700g clams (any kind except hardshell)
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 1 red pepper, chopped finely
- Pasta shells
- 250ml fish stock
- 1 small tin peeled and deseeded tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- A little chopped parsley
- A few strands of saffron
- Salt & pepper
- After defrosting the clams strain any run off to add at step 4. Rinse thoroughly under running water to remove any remaining grit.
- Sauté the onion, garlic and red pepper in the oil for 1 minute then reduce heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- When the onion has been cooking for 10 minutes or so, start the pasta cooking in boiling water.
- Add last six ingredients to the onion and cook on a fairly high heat for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Drain the pasta and return to its pan. Add the stock and the clams. Cook for 10 minutes over a medium heat.