Cod steaks with Salsa Verde
Salsa Verde is a classic Italian herb sauce that goes well with most fish - this would also work with hake or haddock. There are numerous versions. Here is a simplified one using parsley, chives and basil but all sorts of combinations can be used. (As Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall said, “it is very hard to make a bad salsa verde.”)
Sautéed potatoes go well with this, or Puy lentils.
- 2 cod steaks about 250g each
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 5 anchovy fillets rinsed and dried
- 1 small handful each of fresh parsley, chives & basil
- 1 tbsp salted capers rinsed and dried
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 75ml/5tbsp extra-virgin olive oil.
- Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Brush an ovenproof dish with oil and put the fish in it.
- Brush the steaks also with a little oil and bake for around 20-30 minutes or until cooked.
- Meanwhile chop the anchovies, herbs, capers and garlic finely in a food processor.
- Trickle in the lemon juice and oil with the motor still running.
- Test the fish is done by piercing with a small knife, it should be just turning opaque in the centre and starting to flake a little.
- Serve with a little salsa verde trickled over and the rest handed round separately.