Cod Tail in Red Wine
- 1 cod or hake tail, about 340g / 12 oz
- 50g / 2oz butter
- 70g / 3 oz plain flour
- ½ bottle red wine
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter on quite a high heat in a large pan then add the tail and, standing over the pan to keep moving the tail, quickly cook its entire surface to seal it.
- Add the wine, turn down the temperature and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tail and keep warm. Remove a cupful of wine and blend with the flour to a smooth paste. Return flour mixture to pan and stir rapidly to blend. Season to taste.
- Cut lengthways along the side of the tail, through the skin with a sharp knife. Once the skin is cut through, it should be easy to remove the flesh from the bone, in four pieces - the top half and bottom half of one side of the bone, and ditto on the other.
- Serve with the sauce.