Cabillaud á la Flammande (Cod in a Flemish style)
From Escoffier's book on cod
- 2 cod steaks ideally an inch thick
- 2 shallots
- fines herbes ideally tarragon, chervil, chives, parsley all chopped trés fine
- 1 lemon, peeled and cut into 6 round slices
- 200ml white wine
- 50g baby rusks or make do with toasted breadcrumbs
You will also need a pan which can do service both in your over and on your hob and is the right size to take the steaks side by side without much spare room around them.
- Set oven to 200C. Butter your dual purpose pan.
- Season the cod with nutmeg, salt and pepper, then place in the pan and cover with the wine.
- Add the shallots, herbes and lemon slices.
- Bring to the boil then transfer to the oven for about 10 minutes. Transfer the cod to warm plates, cover and keep warm whilst you make the sauce.
- Get the liquor back on the hob over a low heat and thicken with the crushed rusks or crushed whatever you are using. Makes sure it's well crushed (into virtually powder) before it goes in (that's why the rusks are perfect) and use a whisk to blend.