Escolar with Tomato and Basil Salsa
- 2 escolar steaks, about 170g each
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- Basil leaves to garnish
For the salsa:
- 1 tomato, skinned and chopped
- ¼ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 10 large basil leaves, chopped fine
- 15ml (1tbsp) olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Mix together the onion, tomato, jalapeno pepper and balsamic vinegar.
- Stir in the basil and olive oil, then season to taste. Cover this salsa with cling film and leave to marinate for about three hours.
- Pre heat the oven to 220C. Place the fillets on a baking tray, rub with the olive oil and season. Bake in the oven for 15mins, basting half way through with oil and turning once.
- To serve: place the fish on a plate with several spoonfuls of the salsa and garnish with whole basil leaves.