- 1 pack haddock or cod fillets or any white fish... monk?
- 1 savoury pastry case (make or buy ready-made)
- 125ml / 4 fl oz white wine
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 20g / 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 185ml / 7 fl oz milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 tbsp grated cheese
- Combine wine, salt, seasoning and bay leaf in pan, add fish and poach for 8-10 mins.
- Remove fish, flake and set aside, strain liquid and boil to reduce to 1 cup and reserve.
- Melt butter in a pan, stir in flour and cook 1-2 mins, gradually stir in milk and bring to the boil, stirring constantly and cook until thick.
- Stir in reserved liquid, remove from heat and fold in eggs and fish.
- Turn into pastry case and sprinkle with cheese - cook in moderately hot oven, 190C / 375F / Gas 5 for 25-30 mins.
- Serve hot or cold with a green salad.