Fried Clams with Chilli and Yellow Bean Sauce
Quick and Easy!
- 700g whole clams - for instance amandes, meretrix or carpetshells
- a little vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) root ginger, grated
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 60ml (4 tbsp) yellow bean sauce (some supermarkets, or readily available online)
- 4 red chillies, seeded and chopped
- a little Thai fish sauce
- a pinch of sugar
- a small handful of basil leaves, chopped, plus six leaves to garnish
- Prepare the clams as directed on the pack. Open each with a knife and check for grit.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Fry the garlic and ginger for a minute then add shallots and fry for a further minute.
- Add the clams. Turn a few times to coat with the oil. Add the yellow bean sauce and half the chillies.
- Continue to cook for about four minutes, stirring all the time. Add a little water if necessary. Season to taste with the fish sauce and a little sugar. Finally add the basil.
- Transfer to individual bowls. Decorate with remaining chillies and basil.
- Serve with noodles or rice