Grilled Garlic Mussels
- 900-1000g half shell mussels
- 120ml/4fl oz dry white wine
- 50g/2oz butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50g/2oz dried white breadcrumbs
- 60ml/4tbsp chopped fresh mixed herbs (e.g. parsley, basil, oregano)
- 30ml/2tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Sea Salt/Black Pepper
- Basil leaves to garnish
- Defrost and drain mussels, rinse briefly. Place in pan with the wine. Cover, cook over high heat, shaking pan occasionally, for 5 mins.
- Strain mussels, reserve the cooking liquid.
- Melt butter in large frying pan, fry the shallots until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 mins.
- Stir in breadcrumbs and cook, stirring until lightly browned. Remove from heat and stir in herbs; moisten with a little of the reserved mussel liquid, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill
- Spoon breadcrumb mixture over mussels in their shells and arrange on baking sheets. Sprinkle with the grated Parmesan.
- Cook the mussels under a hot grill in batches for about 2 mins until topping is crisp and golden. Keep the cooked mussels warm in a low oven while grilling remainder. Garnish with basil leaves and serve immediately.