Herrings in oatmeal with mustard
A classic recipe for herrings...
- 4 herrings
- 80ml / 3fl oz mayonnaise
- 1 dsp Dijon mustard
- 1 dsp tarragon vinegar
- 1 lemon, halved
- 115gm / 4oz oatmeal
- Salt and pepper
- Add mustard and vinegar to mayonnaise. Stir until blended. Taste and add more if necessary.
- Make two shallow incisions in each side of the fish.
- Squeeze lemon juice into incisions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge fish in oatmeal and press the oatmeal into the skin.
- Grill under a moderate heat for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Serve with the mustard sauce.