John Dory in saffron sauce
- 4 fillets John Dory
- 250ml / 8 fl oz dry white wine
- 1 shallot
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 25g / 1oz butter (unsalted)
- 20 threads saffron
- 1 tsp French seedy mustard
- 4 tbsps single cream
- ½ tsp cornflour
- Salt, black pepper
- Chop the shallot, crush the garlic, steep the saffron in a little of the wine. Blend the cornflour with a little water then into the cream.
- In large frying pan, combine wine, shallot, garlic, thyme, fennel, some pepper and the butter. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for three minutes, always stirring.
- Turn heat down further and add the fish - you may need to do two fillets at a time. Poach until cooked - about five minutes.
- Transfer fish to warm, covered serving dish.
- Turn the heat back up again and reduce the liquid by about half. Then pour it through a sieve into a small saucepan. Now stir in saffron and mustard. Simmer for two minutes. Add the cream and cook for one minute more. Pour over fish and serve.