King Crab with Thai Sauce
Serves 2 as a starter
This is a simplified version of a recipe in Skye Gyngell’s brilliant book “A Year in my Kitchen”. This hot Thai dressing can also be served as a dipping sauce with large grilled prawns or with strips of sole or dogfish which have been dipped in egg then in dried breadcrumbs or fine polenta and fried until crisp.
- 150g/5oz king crab meat
- 1 small handful coriander leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 green chilli seeded
- 1 shallot peeled
- 2tbsp golden caster sugar
- 2tbsp fish sauce
- 3tbsp lime juice
- a few Kos or Little Gem lettuce leaves
- Whizz the coriander, garlic, chilli, and shallot in a blender or chop finely by hand.
- Mix the sugar, fish sauce and lime juice and stir until sugar is dissolved then add to the coriander mixture.
- Place the lettuce leaves on a serving dish and put some crab inside each leaf.
- Dress the crab with a few tablespoons of the sauce.
- The remainder of the sauce can be handed round separately for those who like a bit of a kick but it is important not to drown the taste of the crab.