Maatjes herrings in onion marinade
- 280g / 10 oz maatjes herrings, cut into pieces
- 200ml / ⅓ pt milk
- 200ml / ⅓ pt sour cream
- 1 onion, chopped small
- 1 green and 1 red apple unpeeled, chopped small
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- Add maatjes to milk to steep for 30 minutes
- Mix cream, onion and apple into a marinade
- Strain herring, season with pepper and a little paprika. Add to marinade. Leave for several hours.
- Arrange artfully on your best china plates.
- Sprinkle with chives and paprika.