Marinated Swordfish with Tomato and Basil Sauce
- 6 Swordfish steaks
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped oregano or 2 tsp dried
- 25g/1 oz unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 2 tbsp red wine
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 550g/1 lb plum tomatoes peeled/deseeded/diced
- 1 tbsp shredded fresh basil leaves
- Sprinkle swordfish steaks with pepper on both sides. Combine oil, lemon juice and chopped oregano in a dish large enough to take the steaks in a single layer and stir to blend.
- Add the steaks, coating both sides with marinade. Set aside at room temperature for at least one hour turning them once or twice.
- Either pre-heat grill or fire-up the BBQ
- In a medium frying pan melt butter with the oil until sizzling, add the shallots and cook until soft.
- Add wine and vinegar and reduce over a high heat, keep stirring for 1 minute. Reduce the heat and add tomatoes and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir in shredded basil, season with salt and pepper and keep warm while cooking the swordfish steaks.
- Cook the steaks over medium-hot coals or under the grill for 4 minutes each side. Serve with lemon rice or baked potatoes and a green salad.