Newfoundland Cod au Gratin
February 2019 - we are thrilled to supply the kissing cod to the new London production of Come From Away.
- about 800g skinned and boned cod fillet (easiest choice - our skinned cod fillet steaks)
- 3 tbsps butter
- 6 tbsps plain flour
- 80g cheddar cheese (Gruyere's great but not very Newfoundland)
- 80g dried breadcrumbs.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 200ml milk
- salt, pepper
- Grease a baking dish big enough to hold those ingredients.
- Grate the cheese then mix with the breadcrumbs.
- Set the overn to 200C/400F.
- Boil enough water to cover the cod fillet. When it's boiling, add the fillet and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While that's happening, in another pan, sweat the onion in the butter until soft.
- Now blend the flour slowly into the butter/onion and then slowly add the milk, to end up with a roux.
- You should have the cod off the heat by now. Drain and flake with a fork then cover bottom of baking dish with the cod. Season lightly. Pour the roux over. Top with the cheese and breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
Serve with crusty bread, a salad or some hot veg.