Seared Scallops with Asparagus
- 6 shelled king scallops scored criss cross one side
- 12 small asparagus spears
- best olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 small bunch of fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 lemon
- 2 pinches of five spice
- Blanch asparagus in boiling salted water for two minutes. They should come out tender.
- Drizzle a frying pan with olive oil and bring to fairly hot. Cook asparagus in small batches until lightly coloured.
- Place asparagus in a bowl with half the marjoram and squeeze in the juice of the lemon. Keep warm.
- The same pan can be used for the scallops. Season scallops with the salt, pepper and five spice. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. When hot (not too hot), fry scallops gently for a couple of minutes, then turn over, adding the remaining marjoram, and cook for another minute.
- Arrange asparagus and scallops on warmed plates.