Pasta with fresh Pesto and Mussel Meat
- 400g (14 oz) small shelled mussels
- 60ml (4 tbsp) olive oil, plus a couple of extra splashes
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
- 100g (4 oz) parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 garlic clove
- 150g (6 oz) pine nuts, toasted
- Sea salt and ground black pepper
- 450g (1 lb) penne pasta
- Using a food processor blitz the basil leaves, parmesan, garlic and pine nuts with the olive oil until the pine nuts break up. Scoop out to a small bowl and leave to one side
- Cook the penne according to the package directions.
- When the penne are nearly ready, reheat the mussels in a frying pan with another good splash of olive oil. Do not overcook - you are only reheating them.
- Drain the cooked pasta, stir in the fresh pesto and the mussels, season and serve immediately.