Pike fillets with anchovy and soured cream sauce
- 2 fillet steaks of pike, about 400g in all
- 30g/1 oz butter
- Half tsp paprika
- About half a tin of anchovy fillets (or you could use anchovy sauce)
- A little milk
- 60ml soured cream
- 1 tsp chopped chives
- Black pepper
- You'll need your oven at 200C, so if it takes a while to warm up, turn it on now. If you have some boning pliers handy, remove the numerous pin bones (but note that they're little sods to remove without snapping.) Otherwise, be philosophical and reflect that pike would be five times the price if it came boneless. Place the fillets on a greased baking tray.
- Melt butter and blend with paprika. Brush over the fillets.
- If using anchovy fillets, wash them briefly under running water then place in a small cup. Pour the milk over and leave for five minutes. This takes away some of the saltiness. Drain.
- Mash the anchovy fillets with a fork then blend with the soured cream and chives. Season with pepper.
- The fillets will need about 15 minutes in your oven at 200C.
- Check they're done by using a sharp knife to tease a couple of muscles apart. Serve the anchovy dressing separately.