Roast sea trout
This recipe of course works just as well with salmon.
- 1 sea trout, 1-2kg/2-4 lb
- 60g/2 oz butter
- 6 cloves (optional)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried rosemary or a sprig of fresh
- 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 7.
- Smear foil with half the butter.
- Rub salt and pepper into skin and body cavity.
- Put half the bay leaves, rosemary and cloves (and rest of butter) inside the fish, the rest on top. Pour vinegar into bottom of foil. Fold foil over top of fish. Place on a baking tray.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes depending on size.
- Remove skin on top side. Use a light touch: it should peel off easily.
- To serve: after removing skin, note 'lateral line' running nose to tail on side of fish. Put a blunt knife into this until it meets the bone and gently run knife up and down the line to separate upper and lower fillets. Scoop portions above the lateral line off the skeleton. Ditto lower (a little more tricky). When entire skeleton is exposed, pick up tail end of backbone in thumb and finger and lift away from bottom fillet. It should come away neatly and almost intact. Remove any bones that remain behind.