Salmon Puff Pie
Plan ahead and allow chilling time for this scrumptious Salmon Pie - it's well worth it!
- about 600g of skinned salmon fillet cut into 2 inch sections
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 sliced spring onions
- 170g/6oz basmati rice
- 340ml/12fl oz vegetable stock
- 250ml/9 fl oz dry white wine
- Good pinch of saffron
- 200ml/7fl oz coconut cream
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 250g/8oz baby leaf spinach
- Large knob of butter
- 2 x 375g/12oz packs Ready Roll puff pastry, thawed and cut into rectangles approx 12 x 6 inches
- 25g/1oz ground almonds
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oil in a large pan and gently stir-fry spring onions and rice for 1 minute.
- Add stock, wine and saffron, bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer gently for about 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Stir in coconut cream and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender and creamy. Season and stir in lemon juice and coriander, then allow to cool.
- Melt a knob of butter in another large pan and cook spinach for one minute until just wilted. Drain excess liquid thoroughly.
- Put one puff pastry sheet on large baking tray. Spread rice mixture over pastry to within 2cm/1in of edges, top with salmon, cover with spinach.
- Season, sprinkle with ground almonds, brush edges with beaten egg, then cover with other pastry sheet, press edges firmly together. Cover with clingfilm, chill 1-6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Brush pie with beaten egg, bake for 45-50 mins until puffed and golden.
- Serve with a freshly dressed green salad