Salt Cod and Okra Gumbo
Based an Anton Mosimann recipe - cuisine naturelle meets bacalao
- 455g/1 lb salt cod
- 1-2 tbsps sunflower oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 green pepper
- 225g/8oz okra
- 6 med tomatoes or 200g can
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Dash of Tabasco sauce
- 1-2 tbsp tomato purée
- 150ml/¼ pint water
- Soak cod as directed on pack.
- Cook cod: Place in a large saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Discard the water. Refill with fresh water. Bring to the boil and poach for a further 10-15 minutes. Drain, then remove any skin and bone and flake roughly.
- Chop onion. Crush garlic. Core, deseed pepper and cut into one inch strips. Skin, deseed and chop tomatoes. Slice okra.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Cook the onion and garlic until soft and transparent. Add the green pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the salt cod. Bring to the boil, cover and cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt cod. Simmer for 5-10 minutes on a low heat. Remove the bay leaf and serve with potatoes or rice.