Traditional Lisbon salt cod fritters
- 150g of our hard salt cod
- 300g peeled potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3 tbsps chopped parsley
- Pepper (or chilli flakes)
- 2 eggs
- Olive oil - plenty
*Salt cod comes in many forms with widely varying amounts of waste (skin and bone). So if you're using a different kind of salt cod - especially a version with a lot of skin and bone, you would need more.
- The day before, rehydrate the salt cod following the pack directions.
- Bring the potatoes to the boil then leave to simmer for 20 minutes. Grate the onion.
- In a separate pan, cook the cod gently in just enough water to cover it - about 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Mash the potatoes and combine with the fish, onion and parsley. Add pepper or chilli to taste. Now add the eggs and beat in. You should have a fairly sticky mixture.
- Put a good layer of oil in the bottom of a large frying pan and bring to a high temperature. Test-fry a small spoonful of mixture. It should start crisping immediately. When ready, fry a few dessert-spoon-sized dollops of mixture at a time. If you keep your oil hot they should take about two minutes to cook to a nice golden colour. Turn them over halfway through. Transfer to a warmed dish lined with kitchen paper.
- Serve with chilli sauce.