- 400g/14 oz whelks, sliced thin
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 400g tin tomatoes, drained and sieved
- 230g/8oz tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 1/2 tsp crushed, dried, red chillies
- Brown garlic, onion and scungilli (that is, the whelks) in olive oil over a low heat for quite a long time until the whelks are quite soft.
- Add tomatoes, paste and salt. Simmer for five minutes then add rest of ingredients and cook for ten minutes over a medium heat.
- Serve with a few slices of warm baguette or use as a sauce for pasta.