Simple pan fried fillet steak of Virtually Any Fish
- 2 fillet steaks of fish
- A decent swig of olive oil
- 20g butter
- Juice of one lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Defrost the fish. Slash the skin side two or three times with a sharp knife. Pat dry. Season.
- Heat the frying pan - higher than medium but not super-hot. Add the oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the fish, skin side down.
- Press the fish down with a fish slice for a short time to prevent curling. Watch carefully. The skin should be crispy after about 3 minutes. When it’s crispy, turn the fish over. Do this very carefully so the fish steaks don’t break.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on this side. Turn back (carefully!) to skin side and move fish to side of pan. Add butter and lemon juice to empty side of pan. Swirl to make a nice lemon butter. Spoon this over the fish.
- Turn the heat off but leave the fish in the pan for 2 minutes to finish cooking.
- Keeping it simple? Serve with asparagus, tomatoes or a green salad. And probably your favourite kind of potato.