Smoked Haddock Pate
A starter for 4
- About 300g smoked haddock
- One hard boiled egg
- 75 g /3 oz breadcrumbs
- half a teacup of very finely chopped onion
- 75ml single cream
- 150 ml natural yoghurt
- (you can use more or less of each but you will need 225ml altogether)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- optional at step 2: a decent splash of whisky or gin
- Put the haddock in cold water, bring to the boil and turn off. This will cook the haddock perfectly. Drain and cool. Remove skin and flake the fish, removing the small bones at the front end of the fillet.
- Chop the egg and blend with all other ingredients until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into ramekins. Bake in oven preheated to 200C/Gas 6 for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with lemon slices. Serve with hot or cold toast.
- This dish is equally delicious served cold and will last in your fridge for at least three days.