Smoked trout mousse
- 6 smoked trout fillets
- 140g/5oz walnut halves
- 2 tbsp green peppercorns in brine or vinegar, rinsed and drained
- 300g/10oz soft cream cheese
- 294ml carton double cream
- juice of 1 lemon
- watercress to garnish
- Line six small ramekins with clingfilm leaving enough round the edges to cover the top.
- Flake the trout. Set aside 6 walnut halves for decoration and coarsely chop the rest. Chop the green peppercorns.
- Beat the cheese to soften, then beat in the cream until the cheese just falls from a spoon - the exact amount of cream depends on the stiffness of the cheese. Thin with extra cream or a couple of spoons of milk if required.
- Stir in the peppercorns and lemon juice, then add the trout and walnuts. Taste and season if necessary.
- Pack the mousse mixture into the ramekins, smooth the top and cover with clingfilm. Chill until firm.
- Place the watercress on plates, then turn the mousse out onto the watercress. Decorate with the reserved walnut halves.