Spaghetti with clams and laverbread
This is a variation of a recipe described by Franco Taruschio in a newspaper article many years ago when he still ran his the famous Walnut Tree restaurant in South Wales.
- 300g shelled cockles
- 100g laver (we sell this too)
- 400g spaghetti
- 1-2 red chillies seeded & finely sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4-6tbs good olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A squeeze of lemon
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the packet.
- Heat 1tbs of the oil in a frying pan and briefly cook the garlic and chilli on a medium heat stirring constantly - do not let the garlic brown.
- Add the laverbread and clams and warm through gently.
- Drain the pasta when it is cooked (reserving a few tablespoons of the cooking water) then return it to its pan.
- Mix the laverbread and cockles in with the pasta plus several generous grinds of the pepper and the remaining olive oil. If it seems a bit dry add some of the cooking water.
- Taste and add a squeeze of lemon if necessary then reheat very briefly but do not allow the sauce to boil.