- 4 whole cleaned herrings
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 500g / 1lb tomatoes, peeled & sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded & chopped
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 125ml / 4 fl oz white wine
- 185ml / 5 fl oz hot water
- Preheat oven to 170C / 325F / Gas 3.
- Place fish in an ovenproof casserole dish, and sprinkle with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onions and garlic, sauté until soft. Add tomatoes and red pepper and stir for 4-5 mins; add remaining ingredients and season.
- Bring to the boil and cook gently for 5 mins.
- Pour mixture over the fish, cover and place in preheated oven for 30 mins.