If you're experimenting with octopus, try this reasonably straightforward French stew.
- 1.5Kg/ 3 lb of octopus (before cleaning)
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- ½ bottle dry white wine
- 1 tsp each oregano and tarragon
- Simmer the cleaned octopus in water (or a fish stock, if to hand) for about an hour.
- Remove and cut into small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil and fry the onions until golden brown.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer for half an hour. Serve with crusty bread for dunking and a crisp white wine.