Fish fillet with Indian spices
- 2 swordfish fillet steaks about 200g / 7ozs each
- 1 tsp salt
- Half tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp black onion (aka nigella) seeds (available in most supermarket spice racks)
- Half tsp ajwan (aka carom) seeds (ditto)
- A little vegetable oil
- Blend together the chilli powder, black onion and carom seeds using one tablespoonful of oil.
- Pat the fish dry with a kitchen towel then rub your spicy mixture onto both sides of the steaks. Leave for at least four hours.
- Turn oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. When it reaches this temperature, put the fish on an oiled baking tray and slide into your oven. The fish should be ready in about 10 minutes, perhaps a little longer.
- The obvious partner is rice. But you could instead try pepped up mashed potato (add any or all of mustard, ginger, coriander, green chilli). And a generous helping of lime pickle.