In a perfect world, taramasalata is made with the salted roe of grey mullet during an idle moment under atomic Greek sunshine. Failing these ingredients, cod's roe is the universal substitute.
- 225g / 8 oz smoked cod's roe
- 4-5 slices of white bread
- 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 550ml / 1 pint olive oil
- Juice of 3 lemons
- Defrost roe, cut in half and remove skin (or scrape roe off skin with a knife).
- Soak the roe in water for 30 minutes then drain.
- Remove crusts from bread then add a little water and fork into a paste.
- Put bread in blender and add garlic. Blend.
- Add a quarter of the oil and a quarter of the roe. Blend a little more.
- If mixture looks too dry, add a small amount of water.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6.
- Season to taste with lemon juice.
- Serve with olives and thin toast.