Cod roe fritters
- 450g (1lb) fresh cod roe
- 2 rounded tbsps seasoned plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2-3 tbsps oil
- Wedges of lemon
- Defrost the roes overnight. If it's a big roe, leave it on your kitchen surface as it will take quite a long time.
- Put the roe in a pan of salted water and bring to the boil. Then turn down and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Cut the roe into slices about 1cm (half inch) thick and roll in the flour.
- Dip the slices into the egg, then roll them in the flour again and set aside.
- Heat the oil and fry the cod's roe fritters on both sides until golden.
- Serve with crusty bread, a salad and a good wedge of lemon.