Rouget a la Provençal
A great dish to have on a hot day or evening. Serve with a good quality bread and lots of salad.
- 8 red mullet fillets unskinned
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 dsp fresh chopped thyme
- Grated rind and juice of small orange
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp red wine
- 1 orange segmented with pith removed and fresh chopped thyme to garnish
- Heat olive oil in large frying pan. Add shallot and garlic, gently fry for 4 minutes.
- Add thyme, orange rind, anchovy fillets, salt and pepper to taste and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Lay the mullet fillets on top and then add the orange juice and red wine. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Leave the fish to cool in the liquid for 30 min.
- Lift out the fish carefully and put to one side. Take a serving plate and spoon on the cooking liquid and gently place the fish on top. Cover and chill for 4 hours.
- Before serving garnish with the orange segments and sprinkle over the chopped thyme.