Stella's Cod Steaks
From Mark Kurlansky's 'Cod, A biography of the fish that changed the world'. Stella's was a restaurant in St John's, Newfoundland, which faces the once fabulously prolific Grand Banks cod fishing ground.
- 2 cod steaks
- 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp flour mixed with teaspoon of each of paprika, ground black pepper and parsley.
- Vegetable oil
- Brush egg mixture onto steaks, then dredge steaks through flour mixture.
- Put oil in frying pan and turn heat on high. When it is very hot, add fish, turning heat down to medium immediately.
- Fry on each side for about three minutes. Turn the steaks very carefully. Serve.