Everything You Need To Know About Oysters
Oysters are a delicacy that have been enjoyed by humans for thousands of years. They are considered to be an aphrodisiac and are often served on special occasions. In this blog post, we'll explore what oysters taste like, whether they're healthy, when the best time to eat oysters is, and how to eat them.
What do oysters taste like?
Oysters have a unique taste that is difficult to describe. They are often described as salty, briny, and slightly sweet. The texture is also unique, with a chewy texture and a slightly slippery feel. The taste can vary depending on the type of oyster, as well as the location where it was harvested.
Are oysters healthy?
Oysters are a healthy food that is low in calories and high in nutrients. They are a good source of protein, zinc, iron, and vitamin B12. Oysters are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are important for heart health.
When is the best time to eat oysters?
The best time to eat oysters is during the months that have an "r" in them, which are typically September through April. This is because during the summer months, oysters are spawning and their meat becomes milky and less flavorful. Oysters are also typically harvested during the cooler months, which means they are fresher and more flavorful during this time.
How to eat oysters?
- Eating oysters can be intimidating for those who have never done it before, but it's actually quite simple. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to eat oysters:
- Choose your oyster: Look for oysters that are closed tightly and have a fresh, ocean smell. Avoid oysters that have a strong, foul smell or that are open.
- Clean the oyster: Use a stiff brush to clean the oyster under cold running water.
- Open the oyster: Hold the oyster firmly in one hand and use an oyster knife to gently pry open the hinge. Slide the knife along the top of the shell to sever the muscle that holds the shell together.
- Remove the meat: Use the oyster knife to loosen the meat from the shell, being careful not to spill the juice inside.
- Add toppings (optional): Some people like to add toppings like lemon juice, cocktail sauce, or horseradish to their oysters.
- Enjoy: Tilt the shell up to your mouth and slurp the oyster from the shell.
Find exactly what you want. We sell 200 kinds of fish - way more than anyone else.SHOP NEW IN