Red mullet is one of the finest fish but specimens large enough to fillet are pretty rare, so - sorry - we are often out of stock. Naturally, this is always cold water red mullet. We don’t use that similar-looking but not-quite-right tropical red mullet. You may want two fillets per person as they are quite small fillets. We recommend a serving of 150g per person, generally, our packs average around 160g. We source our red mullet from the day boats of Cornwall either via Plymouth fish market or wholesalers who know the quality we're after. Whilst red mullet is technically a 'white-fish' it's got a stronger flavour than other white fish and higher oil content. We buy extremely fresh whole red mullet, scale them, fillet them and hand pin bone them making sure each fillet is prepared to a high standard.
- These red mullet are landed on the South Coast of the UK
- These fillets are expertly crafted by our top filleter
- Suggested recipe: Pan-fried red mullet on crushed potatoes
- Portion suggestion: 150g of red mullet fillets per person - in many cases this will be 2 fillets
- These fillets are boneless
Featured customer reviews
- "The red mullet fillets were as good as they could be, which is what I have come to expect from the Fish Society. The courteous service and the fish you provide are exemplary. Thank you all very much."
- "Perfectly prepared packaged and delivered, cooked as part of a Sicilian fish stew .. these were absolutely perfect - and delicious! Would definitely buy again."
- "Beautiful taste cooked carefully in the Italian style. I liked the size of them. One of my favourite fish."